Makes approximately 8-10 large biscuits. Prep Time: 15 mins; Cook Time: 10-14 minutes
adapted from the 2007 Cooks Illustrated November Edition. This is my favourite magazine, I got them from a friend as a present and LOVE them!!
2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup Homemade Buttermilk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (about 5 minutes)
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
2 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
1/4 cup Shredded Cheddar (or any hard cheese you like really, I used gouda this time)
Medium Mixing Bowl
Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475°F. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in large bowl.
- Add garlic, garlic powder and cheese, mix well with plastic spatula.
- Combine homemade buttermilk and melted butter in the same jar you used to make the buttermilk in, and shake it up until combined.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just incorporated and batter pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Using greased 1/4-cup dry measure, scoop level amount of batter and drop onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet (biscuits should measure about 2 1/4 inches in diameter and 1 1/4 inches high).
- Repeat with remaining batter, spacing biscuits about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake until tops are golden brown and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Serve with butter or gravy or just eat them!!