Bacon, Bananas & Blueberries???
In muffin & loaf form? WHAT?!?!?
Yes I did it. They were absolutely delicious. Feel free to make some of your own.
Crunchy & Green Triple B Muffins
This recipe makes approximately 24 muffins or 6 muffins and a 7″ loaf.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup bacon grease with a bit of neutral flavored oil to top off the measuring cup
- 2 large egg (can substitute 1/4 cup banana or applesauce for each egg to make egg-free)
- 3/4 milk; dairy and non-dairy both work
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 ounces fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw frozen) (about 1 cup)
- 1/2lb crispy bacon (reserve grease for oil in recipe), crumbled
- 2 small ripe and soft bananas
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
- 1/4 sliced almonds
- 1 whole kale leaf or handful of baby spinach
- In a large bowl, mix until well combined, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, flaxseed and almonds.
- In a 2 cup liquid measuring cup put grease/oil, eggs, milk, vanilla, bananas and kale/spinach, using an immersion blender, puree until all ingredients are smooth.
- Mix blueberries and then bacon into flour mixture.
- Add liquid mixture and fold until just incorporated, do not overmix, you want the ingredients to all be moist, but a little lumpy is fine.
- Scoop by the spoonful into muffin cups (about 3/4 full) or pour/scoop into loaf pan.
- Place in preheated (375 degrees F) oven for 15-20 minutes (6/12 cup muffin pan), 45 minutes for loaf pan. Remove with you can insert knife/toothpick into center and remove clean and tops are golden brown.
Serve with butter and honey/maple syrup!