I found this shredded chicken recipe last week and it was delicious! I made a double batch, using the salsa chicken I made in the crockpot that same day,and ended up freezing half. I also made a few modifications and substituted/added ingredients I had on hand and needed to use up. Tonight I pulled out the pie crust I made recently from this piecrust recipe and decided to thaw out the chicken I saved to make a casserole pie!
Ingredients (prepwork in parentheses)
- 1 lbs Yuca Root or Potatoes (peeled, chopped and par-boiled)
- 1 lb chicken breasts (cooked and shredded) OR 3 cups Salsa Chicken (do not add tomato, pepper, onionor cilantro below, if using salsa chicken)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup water or broth
- 1 cup yogurt (strained thick)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped) optional – do not add if using salsa chicken
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (chopped) optional – do not add if using salsa chicken
- 1/2 cup tomato (chopped) optional – do not add if using salsa chicken
- 1/2 lb cooked (or can) beans
- 1/2 can sweet whole corn
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon dry (chopped) optional –do not add if using salsa chicken
- 2 cup cheese, divided (shredded)
- 1 pie crust (rolled out to fit casserole dish)
- After doing all the prep work above, see parentheses next to each ingredient, put all items, except 1 cup cheese and pie crust, in stand mixer. Stir on lowest setting until ingredients are all incorporated making the filling for the casserole. Add a little water if it doesn’t resemble thick batter. Should be thick but sorta pourable.
- Put crust into lightly greased casserole dish, pierce with fork, press out air bubbles.
- Pour filling into prepared casserole pan with pie crust. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- Bake in preheated oven (350 degrees) for 1 hour, broil for last 10 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, cut and serve.