I have been really craving cranberries lately… and cake. So much so that I have been shoveling the dried cranberries in to my mouth in heaping handfuls. It’s so hard being pregnant sometimes. 😂 Since we’ve been out of flour for over a week now, (I know it’s almost a sacrilege) I’ve had to make do without cake. It was rough I tell you, but somehow I survived. Today J went to the local grocery house on his really amazing kayak walking machine. I handed him a list and the reusable grocery bags/box, and he was off and elliptical jogging over the ocean. It’s really a very fun machine to use. Anyway upon returning home I rummaged through the bags and pulled out potatoes and started making fries and chips. After making a few batches I got the bag of flour open and whipped up this delicious masterpiece of cranberry, walnut, almond deliciousness.
Cranberry Almond Walnut Squares
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or melted butter cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries (think Craisins)
- 1/2 cup hand crushed walnuts
- 1/2 cup blanched almond slivers
- Mixing bowl
- 2 cup glass measuring cup or equivalent cup size for mixing wet ingredients
- Whisk or fork
- Rubber spatula
- 8×8 pan
- Preheat oven 350° and lightly grease an 8″ pan.
- Thoroughly mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients in a cup.
- Gently combine wet and dry ingredients together in bowl using rubber spatula.
- Add fruit and nuts until evenly distributed through thick batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan then put pan in to heated oven.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top and a knife or toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and frost or glaze as you wish.